Friday, June 27, 2008

The Amazing One-Handed Parents

My husband and I are becoming experts at doing things with one hand. We have now mastered the making-a-bottle-with-crying-child in one arm; that's old hat. But we've developed one-handed expertise that we never thought about before. While I was out of town for a weekend recently, he made himself a gourmet breakfast - flipping eggs and cooking bacon - all while holding the baby in the other arm. I've loaded the washer with laundry with just the left hand, caught the remote after my husband tossed it across the room to me (this is a small miracle in itself), and picked up a pacifier from under the baby swing, all while holding E. I've gotten so good that last night my husband tossed his truck keys to me, and I instinctively raised my left hand - even though I'm a righty - and grabbed them with the skill of a professional baseball player.

Throwing things, I still need to work on, however.

No comments: